Sep 26, 2012 / 12:34 pm
Several apartments at The Water's Edge apartment complex were evacuated Wednesday morning.
The evacuation was ordered as a precaution after an excavator working near the building his a natural gas line.
Firefighter Corrie Lang says it appears to be about a two inch pipe although firefighters have been unable to get a look at it.
"We have evacuated some units on the south side of the building and we will have a rescue crew going in to monitor the air quality inside," says Lang.
He says fire crews have secured the scene until FortisBC is able to come in and cap off the gas line.
Because winds were light at the time homes across the street were not evacuated.
Workers are in the area at the end of Capozzi Road in the Mission re-paving the road in from of the apartment complex.
Lang says it's unclear how long residents will be out of their homes.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Quiet start to the summer season May 21
- Stabbing arrest May 21
- Last day to register for PlayOn! Kelowna May 21
- Thunderstorm watch in effect May 21
- Calling all green thumbs May 21
- Glenmore crash May 20
- Grad party rollover May 20
- Annual regatta is largest in BC Interior May 19
- Rutland May Day Parade video May 19
- Kasugai Gardens open into the evening May 19