Sep 19, 2012 / 3:55 pm
Shortly before 9:00 p.m. Tuesday night Langley RCMP received information from the United States Border Patrol Services about a suspicious male in the 27200 block of 0 Avenue. They advised they had been monitoring the male who was hiding in the ditch just north of the border.
Officers attended the area and with the assistance of Air Services and Integrated Police Dog Services the male was located. He attempted to flee however the dog and handler were able to quickly establish a track and the suspect was taken into custody. He was in possession of two large duffel bags. A search of the bags revealed 20 individually wrapped packages of a substance believed to be MDMA (ecstasy).
The narcotics weighed in excess of 20 kg with a street value of over one million dollars.
Samuel LOPEZ-RIOS, 30, of Mexico, has been charged with one count each of Trafficking in a Controlled Substance and Possession for the Purpose of Trafficking. He has been remanded in custody and will next appear in court on September 27.
Once again, Langley RCMP is grateful for the close working relationship we enjoy with our partners south of the border. This arrest and seizure was made possible by a cooperative effort between RCMP and the United States Border Patrol Service.
Read more BC News
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
- Search for BC teen continues
(Click for RSS instructions.)