Sep 14, 2012 / 5:16 pm
A 68-year-old woman has been arrested in connection with an attempted child abduction in Quesnel on Thursday night.
Shortly before 10 p.m., Quesnel RCMP received a report of an attempted child abduction. RCMP were called to the area known as "Spirit Square". It is a public gathering place located in the downtown core. It was reported a 7-year-old boy was approached by a 68-year-old woman who proceeded to shake his hand and subsequently grabbed him by the wrist, attempting to pull him toward her nearby vehicle.
Thankfully the child's 13-year-old friend saw what was going on and intervened pulling the child away from the female suspect. The woman fled the scene in her vehicle but was located and arrested moments later by members of the Quesnel RCMP.
The woman, of no fixed address, was arrested for Attempted Kidnapping and remains in Quesnel RCMP custody, awaiting her first appearance later today.
The woman was not known to the 7-year-old child or his family and this appears to be an isolated incident. RCMP credit the quick action and bravery of the 13-year-old girl who intervened as being critical in preventing this abduction.
This incident serves as a reminder to all parents of the importance of speaking to their children about stranger safety.
- Use the "Buddy System." Encourage your child to always walk, play & bike with a buddy - regardless of their age.
- Teach young children NOT to wander away from you in public places.
- Insist that very young children hold a supervising adult's hand continually while walking in public spaces.
- In the unlikely event that your child is approached by a stranger who attempts to coerce them, teach your child to scream loudly, make lots of noise, yell "This is NOT my parent" and scatter belongings.
Anyone witnessing a possible child abduction should take note of the vehicle description and license plate number and call 911 immediately.
Read more BC News
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
- Forest fire Evacuation Alert now an Order
- Artifacts stolen from God's house
- Evacuation alert in Thompson-Nicola
- Kamloops man shot in leg
- Mounties shoot man on SkyTrain
- Targeted shooting at a Coquitlam home
- Search for BC teen continues
(Click for RSS instructions.)