Sep 13, 2012 / 9:11 am
Mock Disaster - September 13, 2012
If you notice unusual activity around Kelowna International Airport during your morning commute Thursday - don't be alarmed.
More than 40 agencies will be taking part in the largest mock disaster of its type to ever take place in the Central Okanagan.
The full-scale exercise, 'Operation Unity,' will take place on the east side of the airport property bordering on Old Vernon Road from 7 a.m. until noon.
It will consist of a mock aircraft accident.
The scenario is designed to engage a broad segment of the community and bring into play almost all aspects of the Central Okanagan Regional Emergency Program.
In addition, both UBC-Okanagan and Interior Health at Kelowna General Hospital will conduct their own full-scale exercises in conjunction with Operation Unity.
Normal operations will still occur at all exercise locations.
The public should not be affected.
This is the first mock disaster involving the airport since 2006.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22
- Power back on in East Kelowna May 21
- Tuesday crash sends 4 to hospital May 21
- Quiet start to the summer season May 21
- Stabbing arrest May 21
- Last day to register for PlayOn! Kelowna May 21
- Thunderstorm watch in effect May 21
- Calling all green thumbs May 21