Sep 11, 2012 / 7:08 am
Czech officials say at least three more people have died after drinking bootleg alcohol tainted with toxic methanol, bringing the death toll to six.
Police spokeswoman Miluse Zajicova says a 45-year-old man died in a hospital in the eastern town of Prerov, and a 21-year-old woman was found dead in nearby Osek nad Becvou.
Petra Pekarova, spokeswoman for Prague's General University Hospital, said Tuesday that a 38-year-old man had died there of methanol poisoning.
Authorities announced Monday that three deaths in the country's east had been linked to the cheap, illicit liquor. About two dozen other people have been hospitalized, some in critical condition.
Authorities have launched a nationwide check of restaurants, bars, liquor stores and street markets in an effort to discover the origin of the bootleg booze.
Read more World News
- Singer, 18, now up in the Clouds
- White House staff knew of tax probe
- Penn urges US to pressure Bolivia
- Missing in Mexico
- United Airlines resumes 787 flights
- Jackson concerts cost AEG $24M
- Oklahoma school takes direct hit
- James Caan revisits the '70s at Cannes
- Military sex abuse victims seek care
- Did North Korea launch missiles?
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
(Click for RSS instructions.)