Sep 9, 2012 / 10:33 pm
Update 8:30 a.m.: The wildfire burning 10 kilometres east of Falkland is estimated to be 15 hectares in size. There was no growth on this fire overnight and crews will further containment this morning by creating fuel-free areas and suppressing hot spots.
The cause of the blaze is still under investigation.
DriveBC is reporting the Highway 97A to the Junction with Highway 1, (at Monte Creek) is reduced to single lane alternating traffic and is pilot car controlled.
The highway is closed at Salmon River Road to the Whispering Pines Restaurant.
The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure anticipate the highway will be open to single lane alternating traffic led by a pilot car at around midnight Sunday.
No homes are being threatened by the fire.
Fire fighters with the Ministry of Forests are engaging that fire which is burning about 10km east of Falkland.
Fire Information Officer Michaela Swan says the fire is roughly 15 hectares in size.
About 75 per cent of the fire has been surrounded by retardant. The other 25 per cent of the fire is surrounded by the road.
Swan says fire fighters are noticing very low fire activity.
Read more North Okanagan News
- Falkland rodeo photo gallery May 20
- Falkland rodeo 'no bull' for community May 20
- Images from Falkland Stampede May 20
- Body recovered from Shuswap Lake May 14
- Cherryville manhunt May 13