Sep 7, 2012 / 7:07 am
Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird says he's cutting ties with Iran amid worries about the safety of Canadian diplomats in the country.
Baird says the Canadian embassy in Tehran will close immediately and Iranian diplomats in Canada have been given five days to leave.
He says he's worried about the safety of diplomats in Tehran following recent attacks on the British embassy there.
He's also warning ordinary Canadians to avoid travel to Iran.
People seeking Canadian consular services in Iran are being directed to the embassy in Turkey.
Baird says Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism.
Read more Canada News
- Astronaut adjusting to 'earthling' life
- Elijah Harper's body will lie in state
- Spectator killed during Jeep demo
- Panda exhibit opens at Toronto Zoo
- Fishermen missing off NB coast
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford cancels show
- Family found unconscious in fire
- Saskatchewan zombies
- Sen. Pamela Wallin latest to leave caucus
- 5.1 earthquake near Ottawa
- Mom and 5-year-old killed in Calgary
- Cocaine video & Toronto's mayor