Sep 2, 2012 / 9:48 am
For the second time in three days, members of the Kelowna Fire Department were called out to the scene of a porch fire.
At 6:11 a.m., Sunday September 2, firefighters responded to a report of a fire at 456 Hein Road.
Platoon Captain Dennis Miller reports that when they arrived, crews found fire and smoke coming from the rear porch area of a two story multi-family residence.
Quick action by the first arriving Engine Company contained the fire in the rear porch area and the outside of the residence, saving the multifamily home.
A fire on Briarwood Road in Rutland also took out the porch area of a two storey home last Friday.
There were five people inside the home when the fire broke out, along with a dog and a cat, and they all escaped with no injuries.
The family will be in the care of Emergency Support Services until at least next Wednesday.
Miller says the fire investigator is working to determine the cause of the fire and a damage estimate has yet to be made.
In all, three engines, one Rescue, and one Command Unit along with 16 crew members responded to the fire, along with members of the RCMP and BC Ambulance Service.
The Kelowna Fire Department reminds residents to test smoke alarms regularly.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Council toasts new liquor establishment Jun 18
- City to test family alcohol zone Jun 18
- Missing teenager has been found Jun 17
- Attempted murder charges laid Jun 17
- Gas leak capped on Borden Ave. Jun 17
- Wiens trial to resume in July Jun 17
- Room to grow - hotel tax continues Jun 17
- Sugar closes sorting plant Jun 17
- Assault sends one man to hospital Jun 17
- Memory card looking for a home Jun 17