Aug 31, 2012 / 4:00 pm
The Kelowna Fire Department was called out to a house fire in Rutland Friday afternoon.
The blaze forced the occupants of a residence at 145 Briarwood Road into the street as flames engulfed the entrance into one of the two apartments in the home.
"The fire seems to be contained to one side of the two storey structure," says Platoon Captain Dennis Miller.
"It has a suite upstairs and a suite downstairs. Everybody got out just fine. The RCMP was here and helped with the evacuation and they'll be looked after by ESS."
In all, six people were evacuated and are not expected to be able to get back in for at least a day, although it may be longer.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation and Miller says the crews who initially responded did not immediately notice anything inside.
"We found nothing inside so far, but our fire investigator is on the scene and he'll be investigating it."
In all 15 firefighters responded in three engines and quickly put the fire out.
"It was a fairly quick knock down by the crew from the Rutland fire station. They're just down the road so the response was really quick," says Miller.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16
- Collision causes gas spill May 16
- Cross-dressing groper on the loose May 16
- Kelowna crime down in first quarter May 15