Aug 28, 2012 / 12:33 pm
One of Belgium's most despised criminals, the accomplice and former wife of a pedophile and child killer who let two of his victims starve to death, left prison for a convent after serving barely half her 30-year sentence.
The nation's highest court on Tuesday approved a ruling that Michelle Martin can leave prison early despite her part in the mid-1990s kidnappings, rapes and killings by her then-husband, Marc Dutroux.
Prison spokesman Laurent Sempot said Martin left prison in an unmarked vehicle late Tuesday.
Paul Marchal, whose daughter An was one of Dutroux's victims, says "there is only one word for this. This is simply absurd."
Read more World News
- Tornado death toll now at 24
- Did cheese fight lead to poisoning?
- Photographer describes kids' rescue
- Singer, 18, now up in the Clouds
- White House staff knew of tax probe
- Penn urges US to pressure Bolivia
- Missing in Mexico
- United Airlines resumes 787 flights
- Jackson concerts cost AEG $24M
- Oklahoma school takes direct hit
- James Caan revisits the '70s at Cannes
- Military sex abuse victims seek care
(Click for RSS instructions.)