Aug 4, 2012 / 8:47 am
Rosannagh MacLennan won Canada's first gold medal of the London Olympics on Saturday, taking top spot in the women's trampoline at the North Greenwich Arena.
MacLennan, from King City, Ont., received the most points for difficulty and execution in the eight-woman final. She finished with 57.305 points.
Shanshan Huang won silver with 56.730 points and Chinese compatriot Wenna He took the bronze with 55.950.
Three-time Olympic medallist Karen Cockburn of Stouffville, Ont., just missed the podium in fourth place with 55.860 points.
MacLennan, from King City, Ont., was beaming as the gold was placed around her neck at the medal ceremony. She waved to the crowd as Canadian fans waved flags and snapped pictures before "O Canada" was played.
She finished seventh in her Olympic debut in Beijing four years ago.
The lone Canadian entry in the men's competition, Jason Burnett of Nobleton, Ont., finished eighth on Friday.
Read more 2012 Olympic Games articles
» London Blog
- Decoding the closing ceremony Aug 12
- The 'miracle tape' of the 2012 games Aug 12
- Christine Sinclair named flag-bearer Aug 12
- What has 32 golds and the Spice Girls? Aug 11
- Eyes On London Aug 11
- Olympic finish line in sight Aug 10
- Weinberger swims to marathon bronze Aug 10
- Bolt strikes again, and again Aug 9
- Verbeek earns 5th silver for Canada Aug 9
- Canada over France for soccer bronze Aug 9
- Huynh wrestles away bronze medal Aug 8
- Canada paddles to silver, bronze Aug 8
(Click for RSS instructions.)