Jul 30, 2012 / 9:30 am
Prosecutors have charged the suspect in the Colorado theatre rampage with 24 counts of murder.
Twenty-four-year-old James Holmes also was charged Monday with 116 counts of attempted murder.
Twelve people were killed, and 58 people were wounded or injured. The breakdown of the charges was not immediately clear.
Holmes also is charged with one count of possession of explosives. Authorities say he booby-trapped his apartment.
Holmes was arrested shortly after the rampage during a midnight showing of the new Batman movie.
Legal analysts expect his case to be dominated by arguments over his sanity.
Holmes was a student at the University of Colorado Denver before withdrawing last month.
Read more World News
- Stockholm riots continue
- UK attack could be terrorists
- Captors release 7
- FBI kill man in Orlando
- Trial set for Costa Concordia captain
- Climbers aged 80 & 81 race up Everest
- Search for tornado survivors nears end
- Race on to find tornado survivors
- Suicide in Notre Dame Cathedral
- 14 Afghan police killed in day of attacks
- Tornado death toll now at 24
- Did cheese fight lead to poisoning?
(Click for RSS instructions.)