Jul 27, 2012 / 2:48 pm
Despite several warnings by the SPCA and RCMP, a dog has died after being left in a vehicle in Kelowna.
To make matters worse, the dog was left in the vehicle while the owner was allegedly shoplifting inside the Real Canadian Superstore on Baron Road.
The incident occurred sometime after noon.
Cst. Kris Clark says police arrested two women (age 29 and 30) for shoplifting inside the Superstore.
Both were released on the spot on a Promise to Appear in court at a later date.
The 29-year-old woman faces potential theft charges.
Clark says at some point the attending officer was able to determine there was a dog inside the women's vehicle.
"The windows were up and there was what appeared to be an empty water dish inside," says Clark.
"It appeared the dog suffered from the high temperature."
Clark says the dog was dead when the officer got to the car.
He didn't know the breed of the dog only to say it was a 'small dog.'
Both the RCMP and Regional District of Central Okanagan's Dog Control officers attended the scene.
The women may face other charges in connection with the death of the dog.
If you have any pictures or video, please email email@example.com.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Dangerous Dog Act challenged May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22
- Big Red rolls through Kelowna May 22
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22
- Power back on in East Kelowna May 21