Jul 20, 2012 / 9:00 am
An eighth inning insurance run turned out to be the perfect insurance policy as the Kelowna Falcons hung on for a 6-5 victory Thursday over the visiting Bellingham Bells.
The win allowed the Falcons to take three of four from the Bells and move to within a half game of Bellingham in the battle for the second and final playoff spot in the West Coast League's East Division.
Leading 5-3 in the eighth, Jace Conrad drove home Bryan Elias to increase the lead to three.
The Bells didn't go away quietly.
They scored twice in the top of the ninth and loaded the bases with just one out before Conrad was called in to put out the fire.
Conrad got the final two outs to register his third save of the season.
Trailing 3--2 in the third, the Falcons took the lead for good. Troy Conyers drove in the game tying run before Kyle Moses drilled a two-out, two-run single to give the Falcons a 5-3 edge.
Cord Cockrill scattered eight hits and allowed three runs over six innings to earn his sixth win of the season.
The Falcons now make the long bus ride south to Corvallis, Washington for a three game series with the West Division leading Knight beginning Friday night.
The Falcons (22-16), swept the Knights when the two teams faced each other earlier this month at Elk Stadium.
Kelowna has 16 games remaining in the regular season a game with Cowlitz that was rained out at the beginning of the season.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us firstname.lastname@example.org for publication here.
- Stanley Cup Stories: Season ends for resilient Sens
- Major League Baseball Power Rankings
- Senators players react to 2nd-round loss to Penguins
- Wharnsby: Family will be big factor in Alfredsson's future
- Pacers take Game 2, even series with Heat
- Winterhawks down Knights in Memorial Cup semifinal
- Penguins eliminate Senators in 5 games
- Did You See That? Brenden Morrow's controversial goal
- TELUS Break Away Cam: Pick the player you want to see
- Don Cherry: Media should give players time to cool off
- Jays' 3B Brett Lawrie ejected, sister lashes out on Twitter
- Canada's Graham DeLaet 2nd after 2 rounds at Colonial
(Click for RSS instructions.)