Jul 20, 2012 / 5:00 am
Thanks to the many contributions from those who cared for Courtney Walls and his family, the Courtney Walls Bursary has reached its $20,000 endowment goal.
$21,150 will be assigned to the Canadian Rugby Foundation fund, in the Central Okanagan Rugby Enthusiasts endowment. The interest from this fund will support the majority of a $1,000 bursary provided to a graduating rugby player from OKM each year.
The fund was started by 1982 OKM grad Bob Callahan, in memory of Courtney Walls, his long-time friend and fellow rugby player. Many grads celebrating their 30th reunion this year contributed to the fund.
“It seemed like a timely opportunity to memorialize Court through this bursary,” says Callahan. “He was a special guy who had the rare combination of a great work ethic and a fun-loving approach to life. We hope to annually honour a rugby athlete from OKM that demonstrates these same qualities. Sam Overton was a great first-ever recipient of this award.”
OKM graduating rugby players will always be considered first as this award is distributed annually. If there are no viable candidates from OKM, the award would go to a worthy graduate from another school. The fund will be managed by the Central Okanagan Rugby Enthusiasts (CORE).
CORE works to expand local participation in rugby, through the introduction of summer rugby camps, the development of more coaches, managers, and referees, the offering of elite programs, improved communications, and the development of sevens and touch rugby.
They also seek to diversify revenue sources that support growth of the sport. The endowment fund is one of those new revenue streams.
"Our rugby endowment fund has now grown to over $80,000, thanks to the contributions of local rugby supporters, " says Doug Manning, CORE President. “Endowment funds represent one of eight different sources of revenue that allow us to build a more self-sustaining local infrastructure for our sport.”
The fund remains open for anyone still interested in adding to the fund. Interested donors are encouraged to contact Doug Manning (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us email@example.com for publication here.
- Senators gear up for 'biggest game of the year' against Penguins
- 30 Thoughts: Avalanche zero in on Patrick Roy
- Jays send struggling Buehrle to hill in matinee finale with Rays
- Stanley Cup Stories: Confident Sens ready for Penguins
- Cavaliers leapfrog Magic to win NBA draft lottery
- Mike Trout hits for cycle as Angels rout Mariners
- Bruins' depth crushing Rangers
- Sharks squeeze out win to square series
- Spurs hold off Grizzlies in OT
- Blue Jays' Ramon Ortiz victimized by long ball
- Mooseheads manhandle Knights at Memorial Cup
- Sergio Garcia apologizes to Tiger for 'fried chicken' remark
(Click for RSS instructions.)