Jul 15, 2012 / 11:18 am
The Kelowna Fire Department's Hazmat team was called into action Saturday night after the RCMP discovered a van containing some unknown liquids inside, parked behind Cawston Avenue.
"They found three 19 litre containers of an unknown product in the back of van. They weren't quite sure what is was, so they called in our guys," says Platoon Captain Laurie Serres.
The team donned their gear and removed a sample of the liquid.
"They did a test and determined it's most likely water," says Serres.
However, they couldn't make a determination that it was 100 per-cent water so a clean-up crew was scheduled to come and safely remove the liquid from the van on Sunday.
"The cans were labelled as brake parts cleaner, so whether it would be a mix of that with water, they weren't quite sure. When it comes back inconclusive like that we have to deal with it as a hazardous material."
It's unknown what alerted the RCMP to the presence of the van.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16
- Collision causes gas spill May 16
- Cross-dressing groper on the loose May 16
- Kelowna crime down in first quarter May 15
- Liberal triumph good for business May 15
- Mission Creek flood watch lifted May 14
- Paving coming to a road near you May 14
- Two-wheel transportation turns the tide May 14
- Capital spending may top $500M by 2020 May 14
- Kelowna Council highlights May 13