Jul 12, 2012 / 5:00 am
As the summer heat arrives and the fun in the sun begins, the motivation of the healthier lifestyle and workout regimen tends to take a back seat to the beach days and barbecues.
For some, the challenge is not getting beach body ready, it’s maintaining the beach body! Here are some simple and effective tips that you can do to ensure your summer allows you to have the best of both worlds with a balanced lifestyle!
1. Rise with the sun: Who says that maintaining a fitness routine needs to be a battle? Start your day off the energizing way - hit the gym or the pavement first thing, and worship the sun after work guilt free!
2. Set a summer goal and select a reward: At this point, getting through the summer and all of its temptations can be a challenge! Set a mini challenge for yourself ! A great one would be to achieve four workouts a week with no fail, or to maintain your current weight by September 1st . If you achieve your goal, reward yourself with something you have had your heart set on!
3. Bring on the games: Get your friends and family together for a weeknight dinner in the park! Earn your appetite with a friendly sporting game! Frisbee anyone?
4. Stay hydrated: It’s common to mistake thirst for hunger! Keep those water bottles flowing and ensure the summer heat is not leaving you dehydrated.
5. Choose your food wisely: Those staple foods at a barbecue may be delicious but they are definitely not going to be friendly to your waistline. Knowing the calories you are consuming may just have you thinking twice about portion control and your choices.
- 1 cup of potato salad = 358 calories
- 3/4 of a cup coleslaw= 147 calories
- 1 oz of potato chips (between 10-15 chips) = 155 calories
- 1 smokie and bun =240 calories
- 1 glass lemonade = 99 calories with 29.4 grams sugar
- 1 s'more = 216.7 calories with 9.9 grams sugar
This exact meal would total a whopping 1,215.7 calories!! Find yourself some healthier options to serve at your barbecues this season to ensure you minimize your calorie consumption. Going to a barbecue? Don’t rely on the hopes of a clean eating feast - have a healthy snack beforehand to help control your hunger and cravings.
Be smart, be aware, be prepared! Make this your most enjoyable and healthiest summer. See you at the beach!
Read more Kasie's Health & Fitness Tips articles
- No more plateaus! Mar 21
- Power thoughts Mar 7
- Benefits of exercise & mental health! Feb 21
- How's your posture? Feb 7
- Readers questions answered Jan 24
- Feeding the soul Jan 10
- Is 2013 your year for success? Dec 13
- Self-sabotage Nov 29
- Time saving fitness tips! Nov 15
- Speeding up your metabolism Nov 1
- Prenatal fitness Oct 18
- Have you said 'YES' to you? Oct 4
(Click for RSS instructions.)