Jul 6, 2012 / 3:26 pm
The Kelowna RCMP has confirmed the fire June 30 at the Coast Capri Hotel was arson.
The Kelowna Fire Department responded to the call shortly after 1:00 a.m., and found smoke filling the hotel and a fire that was hard to put out.
Investigators say that two separate fires were started in the hotel, one in the sixth floor stairwell and the other in a 7th floor storage room.
The majority of the damage was caused by the fire on the 7th floor, however the fire in the 6th floor stairwell created the potential to prevent hotel guests on both the 6th and 7th floors from escaping the blaze.
The RCMP says the actions of the arsonist resulted in the potential for loss of life.
Investigators believe they have spoken to all hotel guests who have any information related to the arson, however police are asking anyone else with information to contact the Kelowna RCMP at 250-762-3300 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16
- Collision causes gas spill May 16
- Cross-dressing groper on the loose May 16
- Kelowna crime down in first quarter May 15
- Liberal triumph good for business May 15
- Mission Creek flood watch lifted May 14
- Paving coming to a road near you May 14