Jul 4, 2012 / 10:19 am
The Black Widow of competitive eating wins again.
Sonya Thomas, of Alexandria, Va., beat her own record by gobbling down 45 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes to win the women's competition at the annual Coney Island contest.
The petite Thomas, who goes by "Black Widow," wins $10,000. The previous record was 41 dogs and buns in 10 minutes.
Juliet Lee, of Germantown, Md., took second place with 33 and claims $5,000. Lee also won second last year.
The Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest has been a city tradition for 97 years.
Joey Chestnut is vying for his sixth straight title in the men's competition.
Read more World News
- A parade fit for a Queen
- Hezbollah vows to keep fighting in Syria
- Woman mauled by chimp can't sue state
- Early results in Iran presidential election
- Newtown, Conn: six months later
- Boston woman pays $560K to park
- 2 found dead from Colo. wildfire
- Chemical plant explosion kills 1, 70 hurt
- Nazi SS commander found in Minnesota
- Syria's Assad used chemical weapons
- Colorado wildfire destroys 360 homes
- 93,000 confirmed killed in Syrian conflict
(Click for RSS instructions.)