Jul 2, 2012 / 10:24 am
Mediation talks have failed and workers at the Pine Acres seniors care home in Westbank will be locked out at 1:53 p.m., Monday, July 2.
The workers, represented by the BC Government Employees Union (BCGEU), includes laundry, housekeeping, kitchen, dietary and reception staff. All LPN's and care aides will remain on the job.
"We went into mediation Thursday, and it was unsuccessful," says spokesperson Debra Critchley.
"The employer served us lock-out notice at 1:53 on Friday, and are locking the workers out at 1:53 today."
There was a lock-out issued for Monday, June 25, but the union applied for mediation after claiming the employer, the Westbank First Nation, was bargaining in bad faith.
"So the employer agreed to mediation and you can't engage in job action during the mediation period," says Critchley.
However, the reprieve for workers was short lived as talks ended that same day.
"The union asked him (the mediator) to book-out late Thursday and the employer served lock-out notice on Friday for today (Monday)."
Critchley added that the union will have a picket line active at the home until the lockout is over.
"The union's highly disappointed and concerned that this round of negotiations has been so incredibly difficult. The employer hasn't moved off its original offer. They've provided us with one, and only one offer to settle. They tabled that on the second day of bargaining in May and they have not moved their position an inch."
Last Wednesday, BC Federation of Labour President Jim Sinclair offered his support to workers and promised to stand behind the locked out employees.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Cdn. singer highlights Westside Daze Jun 13
- Premier ready to work for your vote Jun 12
- Heritage buildings saved from fire Jun 12
- West Kelowna opts for new score clock Jun 12
- Westside-Kelowna voting information Jun 12
- Byelection date set for July 10 Jun 12
- Traffic calming options explored Jun 12
- Dix comes out swinging Jun 12
- Carole Gordon Vs. Christy Clark Jun 11
- Hockeyville $$$ for a clock or sign Jun 10