Jun 21, 2012 / 12:21 pm
As gas leak inside a gated community forced the closure of Yates Road between Glenmore and Glenmeadows Road Thursday morning.
Witnesses could smell gas in the area, including near Watson Road Elementary School, as students played outside.
FortisBC crews responded when the leak at Chelsea Gardens, 527 Yates Road, was reported around 10:30 a.m.
By 11:30, the leak had been stopped and repair crews moved in to fix the problem.
"The gas is under control at that site," says FortisBC Spokesperson Tracy Tan. "Their technicians are on site and we're making the necessary repairs
About 19 homes had their gas shut off and once the leak was repaired, Fortis re-lit the pilot lights in the affected homes.
No one was evacuated and the cause is still being determined, although Tan says it appears to have been caused by a third party.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Gas leak capped on Borden Ave. Jun 17
- Wiens trial to resume in July Jun 17
- Room to grow - hotel tax continues Jun 17
- Sugar closes sorting plant Jun 17
- Assault sends one man to hospital Jun 17
- Memory card looking for a home Jun 17
- Firetrucks off to Peru Jun 17
- Weather Report Jun 17
- Motorcycle, deer collide near Rutland Jun 16
- Bee gone Bernard honey makers Jun 16