Jun 21, 2012 / 11:50 am
The presence of at least one aggressive coyote in Quail Ridge Linear Park has led the City of Kelowna to issue a warning to those who use and live near the Park, located west of the Okanagan Golf Club.
The city also advises that there are ways to keep safe when encountering a coyote.
First, make yourself visible and make noise.
People should also be aware when walking their dog in the area, as dogs can increase aggressive coyote behaviour.
Coyotes have a long history of invading urban areas in the Okanagan, with several incidents of the animals visiting residential areas in Kelowna in 2011.
Warning signs have been placed in the park, while local conservation officers are monitoring the situation.
Anyone who sees aggressive coyote behaviour is asked to call the Ministry of Environment RAPP line at 1-877-952-7277.
For more information about Quail Ridge Linear Park and other municipal parks, visit kelowna.ca/parks.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Motorcycle, deer collide near Rutland Jun 16
- Bee gone Bernard honey makers Jun 16
- Fishing derby anglers reel 'em in Jun 16
- Ride Don't Hide supports mental health Jun 16
- Show and Shine hits city park Jun 16
- Castanet's week in review Jun 16
- Randy Couture in Kelowna Jun 15
- Woman stuck in elevator, stays calm Jun 15
- Local couple caught in Turkey riots Jun 15
- Father's Day fastball tournament Jun 15