Jun 21, 2012 / 2:27 pm
Plans for the much anticipated Queensway pier and marina will be unveiled to the public for the first time Saturday.
A public open house displaying plans for the new structure is planned for Saturday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. in Kerry Park.
Back in March, Kelowna City Council awarded the design, construction, operation and maintenance of the Queensway Marina to Westcorp Properties Inc.
Westcorp estimates the capital cost of the project at over $4M. The city is contributing $200,000.
The company will also derive revenue from running the boat moorage, pier and marina for 15 years.
The pier and marina will be located off the shore of Kerry Park. It will include:
- A public pier, over 6 metres wide, extending 150 metres out into Okanagan Lake.
- Moorage slips for approximately 68 boats, including 27 for hourly and day-use moorage, 30 for temporary overnight moorage and 11 for rental boat moorage.
- A boat and watercraft rental business and marine fuelling station, operated by Eldorado Marina.
- The existing commercial tour boats will be relocated from the foot of Bernard Avenue to a new and improved facility at the foot of Queensway Avenue.
"Westcorp is excited to participate in the first step of what we hope will be many in evolving our downtown into the best place it can be," says Westcorp President and CEO, Phil Milroy.
"We are thrilled to be a part of something that will become so integral to the enjoyment of our downtown and waterfront."
Approvals for the project are still required from several provincial and federal agencies.
Construction on the facility is expected to begin in late 2012 or early 2013 with opening scheduled for May of next year.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Two-wheel transportation turns the tide May 14
- Capital spending may top $500M by 2020 May 14
- Kelowna Council highlights May 13
- Water Quality Advisory - Black Mountain May 13
- May Day parade set for Saturday May 13
- Flood Watch May 13
- Week in Review May 12
- Chain reaction accident on Hwy 97 May 11
- Push to end homelessness May 11
- Wrecks converge on McDonald's May 10