Jun 20, 2012 / 1:33 pm
A local resident is be recognized for his long-time volunteer work with the Kelowna Food Bank.
Don Henke, of Home Instead of Senior Care, presented Jerry Schwartz with their 'Salute to Seniors" Service award for BC.
Schwartz was chosen from among 20 entries across the province.
At the age of 75, Schwartz, began his volunteer service at the Food Bank 24 years ago. Currently he is the driving force behind the charity's perishable food recovery program.
Schwartz says volunteering at the Food Bank keeps him feeling young.
“It’s the need in the community along with the great people that keeps me coming back.”
Each week the dedicated volunteer drives 300 km collecting perishables and prepared food from local venders and delivering it to partner agencies.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Big Red rolls through Kelowna May 22
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Power back on in East Kelowna May 21
- Tuesday crash sends 4 to hospital May 21
- Quiet start to the summer season May 21
- Stabbing arrest May 21
- Last day to register for PlayOn! Kelowna May 21