Jun 18, 2012 / 6:00 pm
Train Wreck Comedy Presents – “Laugh and Live’R”
Thursday June 21st @ 9pm – By Donation
Train Wreck Comedy joins comedy clubs across the country to raise money for a true comedy legend – Mike Macdonald!
About 14 months ago Mike MacDonald was diagnosed as having hepatitis C, which causes severe havoc to the liver along with a domino affect of other problems. Fortunately the diagnosis was made early and only a very small portion of Mike’s liver was damaged. Ironically though, this proved to make a liver transplant premature and traditional drug treatments without prescription coverage would be too financially burdening.
Some new drug treatments were as high as $5,000.00 a month. Mike was told by his highly respected liver specialist in Ottawa that if he could maintain himself on minor medications and a low salt/protein food regimen he could be eligible for a liver transplant in two to two and a half years.
Mike took the news as best he could, and continued to try to earn a living performing anywhere he could in Canada--hoping and dreaming for a financial break in other side projects. Unfortunately it was already an uphill battle. Years ago when Mike went public about being bi-polar manic depressive it had interfered with his reputation as a desired headlining comedian and had even prevented him from getting certain jobs.
The downward economic times had been slowly getting worse and now several setbacks occurred as Mike’s liver began to affect certain aspects of his performances such as: energy, concentration, balance, and even his hearing. At one point he couldn’t perform for 3 months, which put a humungous strain on his financial and marital situation.
After a recent visit with his specialist, Mike received some devastating news. Mike was told that a recent infection that he was recovering from was so severe that he couldn’t wait two years for a liver transplant. Mike’s specialist sent an e-mail to begin procedures to possibly get him on the cadaver liver donor list.
Simply put--Mike needs a living donor and our financial support. If you would like to be a donor you would have to be the same blood type as Mike: O Negative. (O Positive may work too)
This Thursday, join Train Wreck for a great night of Comedy by donation at Dakoda’s Sports Bar to help raise much needed funds for Mike MacDonald. Mike has helped make our lives brighter with laughter for so many years and it’s time to give back!
If you would like to donate money or find out how you can become a donor you can find all the info you need here - http://www.gofundme.com/mikemacdonald
You can also hear from Mike himself here - http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20120523/Mike-MacDonald-hepatitis-liver-donor-120523/
Read more Entertainment News
WEST KELOWNA MOVIES
- Kelowna Rotary Centre For The Arts
- Kelowna Sunshine Theatre
- Kelowna Community Theatre
- Kelowna Actor's Studio
- Theatre Kelowna
- Kelowna Summer Theatre Festival
- Shakespeare Kelowna Theatre
- Vernon Powerhouse Theatre
- Penticton Many Hats Theatre Company
- Armstrong Asparagus Community Theatre
- Armstrong Caravan Farm Theatre
- Kelowna Rotary Centre For The Arts
- Chamber Music Kelowna
- Okanagan Festival Singers
- Okanagan Symphony
- Okanagan Jazz & Blues Society
- Ballet Kelowna
- Vernon Jazz Society
- Summerland Singers and Players
- Festivals Kelowna
- Parks Alive!
FILM / RADIO [+]
- Lindsay Lohan sued for $5 million
- January Jones will keep son's father secret
- Mila Kunis introduces Ashton Kutcher to parents
- Harry Styles loves cleaning
- Jennifer Aniston cried for Angelina
- Bieber's monkey now German property
- Spotify's Top 10 most viral tracks
- Local Scene Heats Up
- Entertainment Week in Review
- Beyonce Knowles pregnant?
- Miranda Kerr's underwear stolen
- Country star Travis sues to block video
(Click for RSS instructions.)