Jun 17, 2012 / 2:01 pm
The 2012 Arab International Festival has drawn thousands of visitors to the Detroit suburb of Dearborn, as well as attracting some anti-Muslim protesters.
The festival opened Friday and ends Sunday in Dearborn, a community with large Arab-American and Muslim populations. About 300,000 people in southeastern Michigan have roots in the Arab world.
The festival includes concerts by more than a dozen Arab musicians and a range of Middle Eastern foods and products.
A number of Christian missionaries have picketed the festival. One brought a pig's head Friday.
One group called the Bible Believers held signs saying "Islam is a religion of blood and murder" and "Muhammad is a ... liar."
The Detroit Free Press says horse-mounted Wayne County sheriff's deputies kept young Arab Americans away from the protesters.
Read more World News
- Deadly tornado hits Texas
- Plane crashes at Nepal airstrip
- Car bomb in Afghan capital kills 15
- Cyclone weakens as it hits Bangladesh
- Deer crashes through bus windshield
- Cyclone a day away from destruction
- Cleveland kidnapper to plead not guilty
- OJ Simpson set to tell his story in court
- N. Korea: American sentenced to 15 yrs.
- US general's sexual misconduct charges
- Man killed dribbling soccer ball to Brazil
- Doctor visits left Jackson 'loopy'
(Click for RSS instructions.)