Jun 11, 2012 / 4:24 pm
The death of a dog who was trapped in a sweltering car in Toronto should be seen as a wakeup call to pet owners across the country, animal safety experts warned Monday.
As temperatures soar across the country, so do the risks to Canadians' four-legged friends, they said.
Instead of shrugging off warnings about the effects of warm weather on their animals, pet owners should be the ones feeling the heat to take better care of their furry companions, they said.
A cautionary tale unfolded Sunday when a one-year-old chocolate Labrador retriever perished of heat exposure outside a suburban shopping mall.
Police allege the dog's owners left their pet in the car while they went shopping as the mercury climbed to nearly 30 degrees Celsius, only slightly cracking open a window to let in some air.
A passerby spotted the animal in distress and alerted authorities, but help arrived too late to save the dog.
Sudbury, Ont. residents Matthieu Arbour, 21, and Angele Lazurko, 20, have been charged with causing unnecessary suffering to animals.
Michael O'Sullivan, chairman of the Humane Society of Canada, said each summer brings its share of needless, easily preventable tragedies.
"I've heard every excuse under the sun for why somebody's dog gets really sick or dies ... and I'm just sick of hearing them," O'Sullivan said in a telephone interview.
"The bottom line is that animals are living, breathing creatures, and they depend completely on us for care."
Humans often fail to understand that their pets can't regulate their body temperature as easily as their owners can.
Marie Holowaychuk, specialist in emergency and critical care at the University of Guelph's veterinary college, said dogs and cats are unable to sweat to relieve the symptoms of intense heat. They're limited to panting and releasing small amounts of heat through the pads on their feet, she said.
While humans can experience several warning signs before heat exposure becomes dangerous, she said animals don't have the same luxury.
Within minutes of being trapped in a hot, airless space, Holowaychuk said animals can experience severe gastrointestinal issues that quickly escalate to multiple organ failure.
By the time an animal is experiencing convulsions or other neurological side effects, it's often too late.
Pet owners should be mindful of this when considering bringing their pets in the car, she said, adding leaving windows open does little to alleviate the animal's suffering.
"It's kind of like a greenhouse effect. There's no circulation, even with the windows open, that temperature can go up over 40 degrees in a matter of minutes. There's just no way for that dog to escape that heat."
Read more Canada News
- Harper sings, but he doesn't dance
- Inmate takes hostage at Edmonton jail
- Cdn torture policy irks security alliance
- Animal abuse law enforcement lacking
- RCMP arrest man on spying charges
- Avoid the legal pitfalls at office parties
- Canada to file Arctic seafloor claim
- Fish-farm's still stuck on Atlantic salmon
- Families remember deadly plane crash
- Four teens killed after crash on NB Hwy
- $50-million Lotto Max jackpot unclaimed
- Pot-smoking Mountie returns serge