There are many factors that play key roles in determining how quickly your body will speed through the aging process, it once again all comes down to you and your willingness to commit to a healthy lifestyle. Check out the following four things you can do to ensure you stay as youthful and healthy for as long as possible!
1. Boost your Collagen to ensure the skin continues to look youthful and firm!
Collagen is a long, fibrous protein that together with elastin and soft keratin, forms the connective tissue that "connects" the skin together. Skins’ aging - thinning of the skin, appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and age spots, occur when the collagen begins to break down in your skin.
Eat your way to firmer skin by consuming foods rich in:
- Omega-3 fatty acids: such as salmon, sardines, cod, mackerel, and tuna
- Lycopene: Tomatoes
- Vitamen C: citrus fruits
- Vitamen A: carrots, squash, spinach and greens.
2. Get Moving Exercise not only strengthens the bones in making you less susceptible to osteoporosis.
Exercise also increases your energy levels, enables you to build lean muscle mass that will ensure to speed up your metabolism, burn extra calories, gain strength and reduce risk of injury. Not to mention reduce your risk of heart disease by helping prevent high blood pressure.
Put together a workout program that is as unique as you are:
Find your style of fitness that gives you that rush! Don’t just hit the gym because you know you should, search around and find a physical activities that get you feeling amazing and motivated to do more! Create a weekly fitness schedule to keep you on track and to help you stay committed and ensure activity becomes the best part of your routine!
3. Better manage your stress.
Stress can trigger the body’s response to perceived threat or danger, the Fight-or-Flight response. During this reaction, certain hormones like adrenalin and cortisol are released, speeding the heart rate, slowing digestion, shunting blood flow to major muscle groups, and changing various other autonomic nervous functions.
Learning how to better manage stress, by finding techniques that will better enable you to deal, such as: Yoga, meditation, deep breathing exercises.
4. Have a good Laugh.
Laughter triggers healthy physical changes in the body. Humor and laughter strengthen your immune system, boost your energy and diminish pain not to mention:
- Lowers blood pressure
- Increases vascular blood flow and oxygenation of the blood
- Gives a workout to the diaphragm and abdominal, respiratory, facial, leg, and back muscles
- Reduces certain stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline
We only have one shot at having a healthy and strong body for life! Proper nutrition, daily physical activities, stress management and laughter are simplistic, effective and easy to incorporate into your routine!
Read more Kasie's Health & Fitness Tips articles
- Reader question answered Apr 17
- Reader's fitness question answered Apr 3
- Who have you inspired today? Mar 20
- Have you abandoned your body? Mar 6
- Health and fitness questions answered! Feb 20
- Do you know your own strength? Feb 6
- Become the master of your own body! Jan 23
- Cold and flu season Dec 12
- A guilt free holiday season! Nov 28
- Spinal health with Dr. Kyle McLeod Nov 14
- Fitness advice from top local trainers! Oct 31
- Pelvic floor health Oct 17
(Click for RSS instructions.)