Mar 8, 2012 / 11:05 am
MYSTIC, Conn. - The U.S. Treasury Department has seized more than $60,000 from a bank account of the owners of the Mystic Pizza restaurant made famous in a 1988 movie starring Julia Roberts.
The Day of New London reports that federal authorities took the money from the account of John Zelepos, George Zelepos and Christos Zelepos in January after a criminal investigation by the Internal Revenue Service. IRS officials refused to disclose details of the investigation or why the money was seized.
The seizure was revealed this week in a legal notice published in the newspaper.
The Zelepos family owns Mystic Pizza in Mystic, Mystic Pizza II in North Stonington and the Mystic Pizza Food Co. No one answered the phones at the restaurants Thursday, and the owners didn't immediately return messages.
Information from: The Day, http://www.theday.com
Read more World News
- Pope decries banks over people
- French gay marriage law signed
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Powerball jackpot $600M and rising
- Plane catches fire at Moscow airport
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
- North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles
- 60 injured as trains collide
- Bunga bunga girls dressed as sexy nuns
- Car bomb kills 9, wounds 70
- Who knocked up the anteater?
- Mom smashes into car to save child
(Click for RSS instructions.)