President Obama's fourth State of the Union address is taking place tonight (Jan. 24) at 6 pm across all the major networks and the cable news networks.
You won't find any new episodes of your favorite programs on the major networks tonight, with the exception of the Biggest Loser on NBC. Even American Idol is running a repeat.
So, even if you're not a fan of American politics, you can still have some fun while following along with Obama by taking part in the State of the Union drinking game.
The instructions are far too numerous to list, but the highlights are:
- Drink once every time you hear "progress," "let me be clear" or "make no mistake"
- If you hear "debt," borrow a shot from a friend, promise you'll really pay it back this time
- If you hear "deficit," finish your drink; borrow the drink of the person next to you and drink it too
- Drink twice when the President calls a tax increase "asking someone to pay more"
- When he adds a color qualifier to jobs ("green" jobs, "blue collar" jobs), drink one drink of the same color
- When they show the First Lady, drink once. When they show the First Lady's arms, drink once, delivered by bicep curl
- Drink once when they show Speaker Boehner. Drink again if he's crying.
- Drink once if they show any of your Congressional representatives, then pat yourself on the back for being able to identify your Congressional representatives.
When all is said and done, you'll have had a good time while learning something in the process.
Will you be tuning in? Do you care about the state of the American political climate?