Two members of the UBC-O Heat have been named BCCAA athletes of the week.
In men’s basketball, Alex Roth led his Heat squad in two exciting wins this past weekend over a young and athletic Langara team.
“Alex is in his fourth year, he is our point guard and he is a team captain. I expect him to lead this team and he likes the challenge of being a leader,” says assistant coach Cary Mellon.
“He isn’t a vocal leader but he will take charge out there on the court, he comes from a strong basketball family, and he plays the game very cerebrally. You can tell they have had many a conversation around the dinner table about basketball in the Roth house.”
On Friday night the Heat struggled to shoot the ball, shooting just 35 per cent from the field. Roth did not have his best game on Friday night as he struggled from the field shooting 5/13 but he hit all his free throws down the stretch to seal the win, Alex gutted out 15 points, 7 rebounds and 4 assists as he found a way to deliver the Heat a victory.
Saturday night was more of the same from the team as the Falcon’s athleticism on defense created very few open looks for the Heat’s arsenal of shooters. Alex was again asked to lead his team to another low scoring victory, and he did just that -- scoring 14 points, grabbed 6 rebounds and dished out 3 assists. Once again, Roth hit his free throws in the fourth quarter and sealed the victory for the Heat.
The Heat, on an 8 game win streak, head on the road this week and they will be in a battle as they take on the Vancouver Island Mariners, who boast a 12 win and 1 loss record, tops in the league.
In women’s basketball, Roz Huber, a third year post from Rutland Secondary in Kelowna, has played for the Heat right out of high school.
“As a third year forward and co-captain, Roz leads her team in rebounding and is currently second place in the BCCAA. Her athleticism is a huge plus for the Heat as she not only has the leaping ability but also is able to run with our guards in the transition game," says head coach Heather Semeniuk.
"Roz’s dedication to improvement and to being in top physical condition has set her apart as a premier athlete on the UBC Okanagan’s women’s team.”
Huber is a truly motivated athlete who enjoys the workout regimen and the fitness almost as much as playing the game, has really started to showcase her talents this season.
Huber is among the leaders in all three categories in points per game. She sits in sixth at 13.92 in rebounds she hauls in 12.33 a game, good for first in the league and for assists Huber is fifth with 3.25 per game.
In Friday night’s 80-47 victory, Huber was outstanding on the glass at both ends of the court as she had 6 offensive and 9 defensive rebounds for 15 in total, 14 points, 4 assists and 3 steals. Saturday the Heat won again, this time the score was 78-47, Huber’s line was incredibly better than the previous night with 22 points, 17 rebounds and 3 assists, 5 blocks and 3 steals.
- Warriors win in OTBCHL 4,275 views
- Showing up the boysKelowna 8,833 views
- Gymnasts win big in TexasSports 2,653 views
- Power play sinks WarriorsBCHL 5,209 views
- Pressure on for McGheeSports 1,127 views
- Warriors win openerBCHL 4,913 views
- Rockets season bittersweetWHL 5,733 views
- 'Nucks sign Garteig in netSports 2,162 views
- Chartier joins BarracudaWHL 4,146 views
Photos contributed: Rob Brown
by Contributed - Story: 59883
Feb 2, 2011 / 7:00 am
Feb 2, 2011 / 7:00 am
More Sports News
- Prepare for emergencyVernon - 1:46 pm
- B.C. can't help Fort MacBC - 1:41 pm
- Fire hazards, risks exploredVernon - 1:19 pm
- Motorcyclist dies in crashRichmond - 1:08 pm
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- West Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- KISU Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
- Kelowna Junior Racquetball
Member of the RTNDA