148806
Kelowna  

Classroom cleaned after OD

The classroom where an 8-year-old child ingested a dangerous amount of an unknown substance this week in Kelowna has been thoroughly cleaned, according to the school district.

Jeremy Mills told Castanet how his young son was unresponsive and unable to walk after ingesting an as-yet unidentified pink powdery substance in his A.S. Matheson Elementary School classroom Wednesday. The child was rushed to hospital and is now recovering, and a chemical analysis on the substance is being done in a Vancouver lab. 

Central Okanagan superintendent of schools Kevin Kaardal said in a statement that the child showed signs of intoxication. The child told doctors he had ingested an unknown substance from the floor of a third grade classroom at the school. 

An overdose is defined as ingesting too much of a substance, whether that be an illicit drug or anything else, at one time. Mills' son has so far tested negative for drugs. Natural cause tests came up negative. 

The school district said they sent out a letter cautioning parents about the potential dangers of a child ingesting unknown substances.

They announced Saturday the classroom had been thoroughly cleaned. 

"Staff thoroughly cleaned the classroom and District Occupational Health and Safety officials inspected the space," reads an information release. 

"We are grateful for the close support of the RCMP and the attending pediatrician as they share information with us so we can fully understand this incident," wrote Kaardal in the same release. "While educators teach an abundance of caution to children, including not sharing lunches or medications, we want to remind parents to have these discussions as well."



More Kelowna News

149160
Recent Trending
149340


135881




146749
Soft 103.9

Kelowna SPCA Featured Pet

Garfield
Garfield Kelowna SPCA >


135880


148782


Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
144961
148414