147126
147893

Salmon Arm  

May long camping tragedy

UPDATE: 1:55 p.m.

One person is dead and a child has been airlifted to hospital after a tragic camping accident that was discovered Saturday morning. 

Police were called to the Sandy Point Campground, northwest of Salmon Arm, early Saturday morning after witnesses say a woman and her baby were found unresponsive inside a tent. 

"Upon arrival they located a deceased adult and youth suffering from what appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning," said Cpl. Chris Manseau of the RCMP. 

"It's been determined that it was likely a camp stove that was used inside a tent."

The child was airlifted to hospital for treatment, although the extent of the child's injuries is unknown at this time. 

Cpl. Manseau called the incident a "terrible tragedy," and said the death does not appear suspicious at this time. The BC Coroners Service is now investigating. 


ORIGINAL: 11 a.m.

Witnesses tell castanet an air ambulance has been called to a Shuswap campground.

Details are limited at this time, but a witness said a baby and her mother were found unresponsive inside a tent at the Sandy Point Campground west of Salmon Arm.

Emergency crews were called to the scene around 10 a.m. Saturday.

The witness told Castanet some sort of warming device was being used in the tent, but it is unclear what the device was or if it was the cause of the emergency.

Castanet will have more information as soon as it becomes available.



More Salmon Arm News

147144
Recent Trending


135881


146815


Send us your News Tips!


144978
Soft 103.9

Vernon SPCA Featured Pet

Blossom
Blossom Vernon SPCA >


145595




Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
146988
146746