47395
48811

BC  

Hockey shop catches fire

The hockey community was shaken up in Surrey after a fire at The Hockey Shop on Saturday.

The blaze reportedly began in a garbage pile behind the family-owned shop before spreading inside.

Extensive damage was caused, largely due to smoke.

"There was some concern because it's a concrete cinderblock building and the cinderblock started to crack," said assistant fire chief Brian Woznikoski.

"They've been very good to us the last number of years," said Harbs Bains, president of the Surrey Minor Hockey Association. 

"[The owner] is also devastated... But we're here to support him like he's been supporting us for years."

Commuter chaos resulted from the blaze, as the nearby skytrain station was shut down for six hours.

A nearby recreation centre was also closed for a short time due to the fire. 

- with files from CTV Vancouver



More BC News

BC
46241
Vancouver Webcam
Webcam provided by webcams.travel
47812
Recent Trending
45443
Okanagan Oldies
48177
Castanet Proud Member of RTNDA Canada
49529



44635