UPDATE: Tuesday 6:30 a.m.
The person who set off fireworks that sparked a hedge fire in Kelowna Monday evening has been slapped with a $250 ticket.
Platoon Capt. Tim Light says the individual admitted to causing the fire and was questioned by police.
A ticket for illegally setting off fireworks without a permit was issued.
The hedge erupted in flames about 6:15 p.m. Monday, on Primrose Road.
The fire extended to a temporary storage tent on a neighboring property.
ORIGINAL: Monday 7:30 p.m.
The careless and illegal use of fireworks has landed some residents of the Primrose Road area of Rutland in hot water.
Kelowna Fire Department platoon captain, Tim Light, said the fireworks sparked a fire in a neighbours hedge.
Light said the hedge was going pretty good when fire crews arrived.
"While it's still wet, the inside of those hedges is solid fuel," said Light.
Fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze, but not before the house, and open carport suffered heat damage.
The hedge, at the side of the home, suffered extensive damage as well.
A video sent to Castanet shows the owner of the home backing his vehicle out from under the carport with flames from the hedge shooting above the roof of the house.
Embers from the fire could be seen sparking the lawn in front of the house.
Fire crews were able to find those responsible. They were slapped with a $250 fine for their actions.