West Kelowna  

Fire quickly doused

Residents of a West Kelowna neighbourhood had a front row seat to see just how quickly a fire can take off in the Okanagan these days.

A small fire along the side of Horizon Drive rapidly grew and began to climb up trees, before fire crews arrived to put it out this evening.

Mark Naylor, a resident in the area, reported the fire at 6:30 p.m. He said he was impressed by how quickly fire crews were on scene, within six or seven minutes.

Four fire engines along with 14 firefighters tackled the blaze. It was under control within ten minutes of the crew’s arrival. Horizon Drive was closed to vehicle traffic.

Jason Brolund, fire chief for the West Kelowna Fire Department, said they hadn’t determined the cause of the fire yet, but said, “it obviously wasn’t from lightning.”

Naylor guessed it was probably caused by a cigarette, given the small size of the fire when he first saw it, and its proximity to the road. 

More West Kelowna News