A two-day RCMP roadcheck blitz in the South Okanagan saw a significant drop in impaired driving after the first day.
The entire South Okanagan Traffic Services unit as well as Penticton municipal traffic members, totalling 25 officers, participated in the roadchecks.
The checks were conducted at locations along Highway 97 and Highway 3. They were hard to miss, as a large purple bus was at many of the sites. The RCMP E Division Mobile Road Safety Unit is otherwise known as Alexa's Bus after drunk-driving victim Alexa Middelaer.
"This is a self-contained vehicle that can act as a mobile command post or police office. It is equipped with (breathalyzers), temporary holding cells (and) a darkroom enabling drug recognition experts to conduct eye examinations during their evaluations," said Sgt. Harold Hallett.
It's estimated 7,000 vehicles were checked during the blitz.
The following charges / incidents occurred:
- Criminal Code impaired driving - 1
- 90-day immediate roadside prohibitions (impaired driving) -15
- 3 day IRP's -3
- 90-day Administrative Driving Prohibition (impaired driving) - 1
- 24-hour prohibitions - 4
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking - 1 (3 kg of marijuana)
- Possession of cocaine - 1
- Drug seizures without charges - 6
- Liquor seizures - 6
- Driving while prohibited - 9
- Notices of driving prohibitions served - 2
- Excessive speeding - 2 - both were motorcycles
- Stolen vehicles recovered - 2
- Possession of stolen property - 3
- Dangerous driving - 2
- Drive without due care - 1
- Flight from police - 2
- Recover stolen ID - 1
- Obstruct peace officer - 2
- Warrants executed - 4
- Impersonation - 3
- Vehicles ordered for immediate inspection - 2
- Vehicles ordered to be inspected within 30 days - 9
- Vehicles with defects - 242
- Vehicles towed - approximately 150
- Driving without a driver's licence - 34
- Vehicles without insurance/licence - 8
- Driving contrary to driver's licence restrictions - 27
- Drive while using an electronic device - 6
- Speeding - 20
- Commercial vehicle charges - 9
- Motorcycle charges - 5
- One man was apprehended under the Mental Health Act and taken to hospital for assessment.