• Kelowna's Homepage
  • Vernon's Homepage
30359
30055

Actors Studio 16/17 season

The creation of a season is a difficult undertaking and one Artistic Managing Director Randy Leslie at the Kelowna Actors Studio starts every year within a month of the previous announcement. Balance wise, there must be a mix of styles, from beloved classics to innovative works and if possible, something a bit shocking!

Join the Kelowna Actors Studio for some frothy campy fun in the most popular cult classic of all time; a   festive holiday tribute to the original shoot-your-eye-out family musical; a noisy hall where there's always a nightly brawl; a Guinness record-setting musical celebrating its 50th anniversary with a very opinionated and passionate red head; a peek into the lives of the super rich with all the deceits and illusions of the twenties, a tragic tale of a Southern belle and feel the electricity as the season finishes with one of the most celebrated, award winning musicals on stage today.

The 2016/2017 season shapes up like this:

  • Rocky Horror Show - October 12 to 31, 2016
  • A Christmas Story - November 30 to December 18, 2016
  • Chicago - February 8 to 26, 2017
  • Anne Of Green Gables - April 19 to May 7, 2017
  • The Great Gatsby - May 31 to June 17, 2017
  • The Glass Menagerie - July 28 - August 6, 2017
  • Billy Elliot - July 27 to August 5, 2017 (Presented at the Kelowna Community Theatre)

For more information on these shows and season subscriptions click here. Stay up to date with the Kelowna Actors Studio at www.kelownaactorsstudio.com.

 



29056


Mars wants 3 halftime shows


Bruno Mars has joked he will be performing at the Super Bowl in 2018.

The 'Uptown Funk' hitmaker made a triumphant appearance during Coldplay's halftime show at the weekend, which came two years after he headlined the interval entertainment at the NFL Championship Game, and has now claimed he'll be back at the sporting spectacular for a third time in the future.

He posted on Instagram: "See y'all at Super Bowl 52 Ayyyyyyyy!! I'm jus joking.. Or am I ??? You never know bro. You jus never knowwww (sic)"

The 30-year-old star went on to praise "incredible" Coldplay and fellow guest performer Beyonce for the show, and admitted he felt "very honoured" to be a part of it.

He captioned an image of himself and his fellow singers: "I had front row seats and witnessed these two incredible artist do their thing.

"Thank you @coldplay for inviting the squad and I to perform our tune. We were all very honored to be apart of such a positive uplifting show.

"Thank You @beyonce for continuing to bless the world with that fire / hot sauce.

"Thank you to the good people at @nfl for all that you do behind the scenes.

"Thank you @versace_official for makin ya boys look extra clean and all the way swagged out. I'll never forget last Sunday. Thank you all!"



Elton John not X Factor fan


Sir Elton John is glad 'The X Factor' is "on the way out".

The 'Rocket Man' singer insists he's never been a fan of Simon Cowell's TV talent show and other programs like it and is glad the general public's enjoyment of them seems to be waning.

Speaking to ES Magazine, he said: "There's so much good music out there, much better than all the pop s**t they play on Radio 1. I never liked shows like 'The X Factor'; I'm glad they are on the way out."

Elton has always had a negative opinion of 'The X Factor' and banned his songs from being used on the show until 2010.

However, after he relented and let his music be performed by the acts he even went on to appear on the UK version of the show, duetting with Gary Barlow on the 2013 finale.

Previously, he had branded the show "boring and brain crippling".

The 68-year-old musician has just released his 32nd studio album 'Wonderful Crazy Night' and he loves the creative freedom he now has as a legendary artist.

He said: "I like the creative process. If you make peace with the fact that you aren't going to sell millions of records any more, you can be more like Bob Dylan and do what the hell you want. I want to keep being inventive. I don't want to stop creating."

After being at the top of the music world for decades, Elton insists his main ambition in life now is to be the best dad he can to his two sons, Zachary, five, and Elijah, three, with his husband David Furnish.

He admitted: "'I hate being away from my kids. We FaceTime but it's not the same. They are wonders. OK, they beat the s**t out of one another - but they're brothers. I look forward to being closer to them, that is the way I want my future life to go. I want to give them a childhood they can love. And be a parent they will miss. I want to leave them a good place to live."

The full interview with Elton appears in this week's new-look issue of ES Magazine out today (11.02.16).

 





Reynolds wants 9 daughters


Ryan Reynolds would like nine daughters.

The 'Deadpool' star - who already has 13-month-old daughter James with wife Blake Lively - admits he wouldn't mind adding a number of girls to his brood as he grew up with three brothers.

Speaking to SiriusXM EW Radio, he said: "I can't get enough of that. If I could have nine daughters, I would be thrilled. My brothers and I, there's four of us, we would destroy the house. I was 8 and I could patch and drywall at 8. We could actually repair an entire hole in the wall in our house within 15 minutes. That's part of the reason I don't want boys, I don't want a wiffle house."

Meanwhile, the 39-year-old actor previously admitted he found fatherhood to be a "relief".

He shared: "Not unlike most people, I've found there is something of a relief to it, that you're not the centre of your own universe any more and there's something nice about how trivial all those other little things you used to lay awake at night worrying about become.

"I think there's something beautiful about that, and that's not something I was expecting."



New Star Wars now filming


'Star Wars: Episode VIII' has begun ''filming''.

Disney confirmed that shooting of the next installment in the science fiction franchise is finally underway, after it was delayed last month due to scheduling difficulties in the principal photography department.

And the franchise's breakthrough star John Boyega, who plays rebel stormtrooper Finn in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens', has taken to Twitter to announce he is thrilled to be back on set.

He wrote: ''Time to bring out my Han Solo figure for everyone on set to sign. Sigh** can't help it. (sic)''

Disney CEO Bob Iger also revealed that as well as the start of shooting on 'Episode VIII', production on 'Episode IX' has also commenced.

He said: ''There is no better way to propel this franchise into the future than producing quality products. Filming of 'Star Wars: Episode VIII', the next chapter of the legendary saga, has just commenced and it will be in theatres December 2017. And production of Episode IX, a 2019 release, has also begun.''

Plans to release 'Episode VIII' in May next year were dropped in favour of a December 15 date in the hope that the movie will match the success of 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens', which raked in $2 billion at the box office worldwide.

Mark Hamill's character Luke Skywalker is set to have a prominent role in the sequel, while Daisy Ridley is returning as Rey, 'Game of Thrones' star Gwendoline Christie comes back as Captain Phasma and Adam Driver will be donning his black mask and hood again as villain Kylo Ren.

As if that wasn't enough to whet the appetite of fans, Iger also revealed that production on 'Star Wars' spin-off title 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story' - which tells the story of how a squad of Rebel fighters steal the blueprints for the original Death Star from the Empire - is almost complete and work on the next spin-off is due to begin soon.

He said: ''Filming of 'Rogue One' is virtually completed and we absolutely love what we've seen so far. This is the first of a set of planned stand-alone stories. We're already in preproduction on our next one, for release in May of 2018.''

'Rogue One' has been directed by Godzilla's Gareth Edwards and will be released December 16.



Taylor Kinney proud of Gaga


Taylor Kinney "couldn't be more proud" of Lady Gaga.

The 'Chicago Fire' actor watched this year's Super Bowl on TV and was very impressed by his fiancée's rendition of the US national anthem, 'The Star-Spangled Banner'.

Joking he was thinking of "chips and dip" during her performance, Taylor then backtracked and told the New York Post newspaper's Page Six column: "No, I think she was brilliant...

"I was just excited to see her get up there, and I wanted to see her come across, and put out there and sing a song that she had prepared without any hiccups, and I think she really did it. She nailed it, and I couldn't be more proud."

The 34-year-old actor took particular pleasure in seeing the 29-year-old singer sing at the Super Bowl because he knew she felt at "home" there.

Speaking to US Weekly magazine, Taylor said: "Where she's most at home, is on a stage...

"To see her there on the biggest one -- I enjoyed it probably as much as everybody else. Yeah!"

The pair were engaged last Valentine's Day (02.14.15) and Taylor hopes amongst busy work schedules that he'll be able to make this Valentine's another memorable occasion.

He said:"Hopefully, we'll get to spend some time together and we'll figure that out, but I'm not giving away any secrets!"



Stickboy coming to Vernon


The Vernon and District Performing Arts Centre Society proudly presents Vancouver Opera’s production of Stickboy on Thursday, February 25, 7:00pm at the Vernon and District Performing Arts Centre. Stickboy is the fourth of five shows in the Society’s 2015/16 Theatre Series.
 
Created by world-renowned spoken-word artist Shane Koyczan and composer Neil Weisensel, Stickboy is bravely autobiographical, beautifully poetic, visually innovative and musically memorable.
 
The inner life of a young boy is at the heart of this moving and meaningful new opera. Stickboy confronts the uncomfortable reality of a society struggling with its own fear and insecurity, a society that seeks conformity and uniformity at the expense of those who are different.
 
Vancouver Opera in Schools is one of the largest opera touring programs of its kind in Canada. Started over 40 years ago, VOIS maintains a tradition of professional opera performances in schools throughout British Columbia. Each season, VOIS introduces the power and beauty of opera to children and their families in schools and community venues across BC.
 
This VOIS touring production of Stickboy is adapted from VO's inaugural production into a 60 minute visually stunning production and features visuals designed and animated by Giant Ant, the producers of Koyczan's monumentally popular video To This Day.
 
Tickets for Stickboy are $29 for adults, $26 for seniors and $24 for students. Call the Ticket Seller Box Office at 250-549-SHOW (7469) or log on line to www.ticketseller.ca for tickets and more information.



Bieber really loves who?

Justin Bieber really loves Hailey Baldwin.

The 21-year-old singer has been romantically linked to the 19-year-old model and while the pair have never confirmed a romance, Justin couldn't help gushing over her in a recent interview.

He told American GQ magazine: "She's someone I really love. We spend a lot of time together."

Justin also admitted he has done some "dumb s**t in his past, including wild partying, arrests for driving offences and egging a neighbor's house, but insisted that his song 'Sorry' was about an ex-girlfriend and not an apology for his outrageous antics.

He said: "Everyone when they start growing up realizes, 'Man, I did some dumb s**t when I was younger.' It's not just me . . . If I could go back I wouldn't really change much. I think it's all my journey. That stuff made me who I am.

"People ran with that... that I was like, apologizing with that song and stuff. It really had nothing to do with that . . . It was about a girl."

Justin previously revealed he cut out the bad influences in his life once he decided he wanted to change his ways.

He said: "I just had to figure out what kind of man I wanted to be. I have awesome people in my corner.

"I'm human I'm still going to make mistakes. I think that's what's cool about this growth is people can see it. I've made a transition and been consistent."



Returning to Peachfest

One of Canada's all-time, great rock groups is returning to the Penticton Peach Festival.

Honeymoon Suite will be on the Peters Bros. Construction main stage on Friday, August 5.  In their only previous appearance at Peachfest, in 2013, they attracted a capacity crowd to Okanagan Lake Park.

Honeymoon Suite recorded 17 hit singles in Canada and several of those tunes also charted in the U.S.  Among their biggest hits are:  Love Changes Everything, New Girl Now, Burning In Love, and Feel It Again.

Honeymoon Suite also made their mark in Hollywood over the years.  Their hit, Bad Attitude, was used in Miami Vice; What Does It Take was featured in the John Cusack movie "One Crazy Summer;" and the band wrote and performed the theme song for Mel Gibson's "Lethal Weapon."

Original singer Johnnie Dee and lead guitarist Derry Grehan still lead the group.  Long time members Gary Lalonde, Dave Betts and Peter Nunn round out the quintet.

As with all Peach Festival concerts, there is no admission charge.  "Thanks to our sponsors like Peters Bros. Construction, everyone can afford to see one of Canada's greatest bands," said Entertainment Director Bill Kolter.

The 69th annual Peach Festival is scheduled August 3-7.  For further information, go to Peachfest.com.



Cyrus' $2.5M lovenest


Miley Cyrus has bought a new home for her and Liam Hemsworth.

The 23-year-old singer splashed out on a $2.5 million Malibu pad following her recent reconciliation with her former fiancé and they are planning for him to move in "when he's ready".

A source told Us Weekly: "The plan is for Liam to stay there while they reconnect, and then move in permanently when he's ready.

"They know what they have is real. Miley needed some time to grow up, but she feels ready for this now."

It was recently claimed that after getting back together, the couple - who split in 2013 after three years together - are also planning to marry again, but there was no big proposal from Liam.

A source said: "It's true, the engagement is back on. It's been a whirlwind but they're both totally in love with each other and decided to pick up where they left off.

"There was no big proposal this time, they just talked about it and Miley decided to put the ring back on.

"She's told friends that she feels as if she's come full circle."



Artists paint for heart

A one of a kind painting, created right before your eyes, in an hour. It’s a unique fundraiser for the Heart and Stroke Foundation called ART Attack and it’s returning just in time for Valentine’s Day.

Six Okanagan artists will get their creative brushes flowing at this year’s ART Attack which strives to raise funds for the organization, as well as showcase the local artist community.

Each artist, who has donated their time and materials to participate in the event, will have one hour to create their piece which will then be live auctioned off the same night, with all of the money going to the Heart and Stroke Foundation.

Jessica Samuels, Area Manager for the Heart and Stroke Foundation, says the artists will also bring a few selections from their portfolio which will be available for purchase, with proceeds from those sales going back to the artist themselves.

Last year’s event saw an Alex Fong original sold for under $400 while other paintings were auctioned off for as low as $120.

This wonderful event will take place tonight at the Kelowna Heritage Loft, 339 Bernard Ave. with doors opening at 7pm. You can purchase you tickets online at eventbrite.ca



The Sexiest Dad Alive is?


Ryan Reynolds has been crowned PEOPLE's Sexiest Dad Alive.

The 'Deadpool' star, who has 13-month-old daughter James with wife Blake Lively, had his award recognised on Tuesday night's (02.09.16) 'Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon', and the first-time father admitted he was shocked to have been awarded the title.

While Jimmy showed Ryan the magazine's cover with his face on it, the hunk joked: "What?! I mean come on! I mean scientifically speaking, what's sexier than a man that fornicates, produces children and then looks surprised about it."

Ryan revealed his daughter is now "walking and talking", and told fans his family is "doing great".

The 39-year-old actor - who has three older brothers - admitted to the publication that he was really keen to have a daughter because he feels comfortable "being surrounded by estrogen".

He said: "Having a daughter was a dream come true for me, I would have made a terrible king.

"I never admitted it out loud, to myself or my wife, but I really wanted a little girl. It's the best.

"I don't have to prepare to be wrapped around my daughter's finger, I have been wrapped around her little finger since the day she plopped out into this world."

Ryan recently defended the name of his little one, insisting James - the name of his late father - is not a "weird" moniker for a baby girl.

He said: "We named her after my father

"In the spectrum of weird celebrity baby names, I feel like we're not really breaking any new ground here.

"It's not like Summer Squash Meadow Lark, or something. I also thought of all the letters being silent in her name, so it would be just be 'haaaa'."



More Entertainment News



30340
Recent Trending
28224




30081
Member of the RTNDA
30404



29340