The generosity of local children was highlighted when Gr. 1 – 6 students at Aberdeen Hall once again partnered with the Kelowna and district S.H.A.R. E. Society to make Christmas a little bit merrier for local families. Sponsored by the Gr. 2 classes, students throughout the Junior School rallied together and brought in over 1500 items of clothing and toys for this very worthy program. And not to miss out on the school’s spirit of philanthropy, little ones in Pre-school and Kindergarten gathered mittens to share with those needing a little extra warmth this holiday season.
Thank you Kelowna! On November 21st, you came to Orchard Park wearing purple in support of The Central Okanagan Hospice Association. Orchard Park donated $10 for each person who was in the mall wearing purple; all Santa Photo packages were donated, as well as, gift wrap by donation and together we raised $10,767 for COHA!
Central Okanagan Hospice Association provides compassionate care and supportive assistance for the terminally ill and their families. Their more than 250 volunteers offer emotional, spiritual, social and practical support to help people with a terminal illness live to the fullest until they die, and to help their loved one to be supported in their grief through COHA’s bereavement program.
Susan Steen, Executive Director of COHA wishes to extend her gratitude to the community and all the retailers of Orchard Park “who participated with specials, samples, door prizes and who wore purple themselves – there were a whole lot of happy shoppers on Friday night, and the support from the stores was so greatly appreciated”.
If you would like to learn more about the Central Okanagan Hospice Association, register to volunteer, or make a donation this holiday season, you can do so by visiting HospiceCOHA.org.
Every Christmas, the Women of Living In Balance Seminars create Gift baskets for organizations in the Okanagan that offer community resources for Women and children. They gather donations from many local businesses and contribute their time to make these baskets overflowing with nurturing and necessary items for women in transition.
This year was an abundant success with 60 bags produced in total (20- Kelowna Women’s Shelter, 25- N.O.W Kelowna, 15- Vernon community Program).
Joanne Linklater, Outreach counsellor from Kelowna Women’s Shelter says, “These baskets make a huge difference to the women who receive them. For many it is the only present they will get at Christmas and they are so thrilled and touched at this unexpected gift they would never get otherwise. The shelter has limited resources and so for us, this is a huge financial help”.
“Every year the event and the donations grow, so we are grateful to spearhead this contribution function and excited for our vision of women contributing to women.”
Keep an eye out for the next contribution event, which will happen around mother’s day 2015.
Win two tickets to Hot Holiday Homes by sending us your worst Christmas fail. Send us what happened and you will be entered into a draw for two free tickets. The winner will be announced on Thursday. Send your story to [email protected] We will make a story with the responses.
Here is the information for Hot Holiday Homes:
As sure as the holiday season arrives, so does the Kelowna Christmas classic – Hot Holiday Homes. This self-guided tour of decorated homes returns Saturday, November 15 from 1 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Hot Holiday Homes features six privately owned homes that have been decorated by proud homeowners and talented designers exclusively for this self-guided holiday tour. This year, many homeowners have taken the decorating reins themselves leveraging their own collections of décor and ‘insider’ knowledge of their homes to bring out the seasonal spirit, while others have embraced the opportunity to work with professional designers who bring a trained fresh eye to the project.
The décor teams from Expressions, Fresh Approach, Lemon Garden Design, JANUS Design, along with décor from Urban Barn, Target, Rona, Beachcomber, Bylands, Art Knapp and others have created beautiful homes to help you discover your own festive style.
The homes on the tour include:
• A newly renovated, beach-theme-inspired home with soft blue and green colours and driftwood accessories bringing Christmas to the shores of Lake Okanagan.
• Constructed in 2009, this two-time Tommie Award winning home is a large three-story Tuscan with an amazing 180-degree view of Kelowna, Lake Okanagan and neighbouring vineyards. The homeowner keeps the interior design simple and clean with refurbished antique furniture.
• Located in the heart of the Abbott Street Heritage Conservation Area, this small home has been lovingly restored to its 1939 roots capturing the elegance and charm of the era.
• An award-winning 1930 heritage home decorated by the homeowner and her daughter features a staggering twenty-five trees many filled with re-imagined salvaged items.
• An early 1950’s character home that has retained may of its original features filled with revived, re-used and recycled antiques and special finds.
• Perched above the hills of Kelowna, this gorgeous 5500 square foot home fuses Old World elegance with state of the art conveniences.
The holiday spirit will be throughout these amazing homes with entertainment, food & beverage samplings, along with artists and artisans with seasonal products for sale.
Read more Get Involved articles
- WE scare Hunger! Nov 3
- Hot Holiday Homes Tour Returns Oct 31
- Sock it to Homelessness at Trunk or Treat Oct 28
- Gala set to 'Enchant' Oct 24
(Click for RSS instructions.)